Sunday, January 30, 2011

Supper Sunday-Mandarin Orange Cake


This is definitely a special occasion dessert, but it is really good.  I say special occasion because of the high points value, but aren't most things high points value when it comes to cakes?  It's worth the points.  I promise :)


Mandarin Orange Cake
WW Points+=10 points at 16 servings
Ingredients:

Cake:
1 Box Yellow Cake Mix
4 Eggs
1/2 Cup Oil
11 oz can mandarin oranges and juice

Frosting:
5 oz instant vanilla pudding mix
16 oz cool whip
20 oz crushed pineapple (drain juice)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 325.  Blend with mixer all ingredients for cake.  Pour into 3 cake pans (greased and floured).  It's a moist cake- so when browned on top it's done even if middle is still a little wet.  Bake for 25-35 minutes.  Take out of pan while still warm, otherwise it will stick.

Mix all frosting ingredients by hand (so as not to break down the cool whip).  Frost cooled cake, putting a small amount of frosting in between the three layers and keep in refrigerator.

Note- the points are based on full fat versions of everything.  I don't do "light" products as a rule because of the additives and such that are in them, but you could probably lighten it up quite a bit if you wanted to.  :)

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:55 AM

    That sound delicious!! Definitely going into my recipe file!! YUMMY! Thanks for sharing it with us!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Printing out and adding to my pile of recipes to try!

    What size cake pans are you using?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi-you didn't join in on the bold and the beautiful, but I wanted to let you know you are a no-reply blogger.
    your comment lands in my inbox (I subscribe to my comments) when I tried to write you back, your email was not available because you don't have your email attached to your blogger profile. You can get a fee email @yahoo or @gmail and have it just for your blog. With the name nailingjellotoatree@gmail etc.
    any questions? just ask!
    gail

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:31 AM

    What a great dessert for this dreary time of year.... great way to bring a bit of sunshine into our homes! :-) I'm anxious to try this soon!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! Thank you so much for taking the time to drop me a note :)