Tuesday, September 14, 2010

GratiTuesday- Power of Prayer






We all have busy, stressful lives... right?  It isn't just my life that's stressful..... right?  I mean, really....  Don't we all go through times when our life feels so stressful that we just don't know where we can turn.  Don't we all go through times when we feel so alone, the silence is deafening?  A lot of us have good friends to lean on in times of excessive stress, and especially for us ladies, there's nothing like some girl time to pull you out of a funk.  But there are times in everyone's life when even that's not enough.  When you have so much stress, that you don't even know where to begin.

"…The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective" (James 5:16). 

Maybe you can't even put words to all of it.

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus" (Philippians 4:6-7).

Maybe the sheer stress of the stress has left you speechless.

"In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express" (Romans 8:26). 

Maybe you kneel down to pray and all that comes are tears....

"Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus" (1 Thessalonians 5:16-18). 
 

 The truth of life is this:  We ALL have someone to turn to.  We can turn to God in prayer any time during the day, for any reason, and we don't even need to have words.

Here's another hint:  If you pray during the good times in your life with gratitude and a yearning for a God-directed-life, it'll be easier when you need Him in your dark moments, but sometimes, even if we don't have a fruitful prayer life it is those very dark moments that God uses to bring us closer to Him.

There are a multitude of books on prayer, if you need a little help.  Some I would suggest are:  The Power of a Praying Husband, The Power of a Praying WifeThe Power of a Praying Parent, (She has several books on various topics..)  another one that might be good is Lord, Teach Me to Pray in 28 Days.  All you have to do is do a search and you'll get a million books.

I found some websites too:
All about the power of prayer
All about praying the scriptures
Scriptures that are good to pray
More Prayer Scriptures 
If you need healing- a GREAT blog post on prayer and healing
(If you need some encouragement that God heals today, read my blog post about my healing)

I want to thank you all who read my blog.  As I sat down to write this post, I was going to write that I couldn't think of a thing I was grateful for.  But then I thought, "Semalee, you can't write that!"...  Think think think...  and it came to me that I should write on prayer....  I'm feeling very blessed now to have a Savior who works to intricately in our lives.  I needed this post.  Thanks :)

This post is linked to Heavenly Homemaker's GratiTuesday 

 

1 comment:

  1. I have prayed the Power of a Praying Parent prayer every single school day for 13 years. My book is literally falling apart, but it's the very first thing we do in school and always will be (I pray it out loud over the girls). I also have the Wife one but don't use it very often. I really need to find it and start praying through it again. Thanks for the gentle reminder. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! Thank you so much for taking the time to drop me a note :)