Tuesday, September 07, 2010

Life Changes














I've worked in early childhood education most of my children's lives.  It started when Grego was almost 2 and I began working at the Mother's Day Out that the boys attended.  I was asked to work there, and I honestly didn't think I was qualified.  But, as I got into the groove I quickly found that this was my niche.  I love working with young children, even though it is exhausting.  When the boys went to public school I worked at the MDO program one more year and then decided I needed to be home for the boys.  So I quit.  A year later I started homeschooling the boys, and they began attending the Encourager Home School Enrichment Program.  It is a one day a week program.  After their first year there, the PreK teacher had a baby and resigned.  So the next year I taught PreK, and did so for the next 3 years.  Now I have babies at home to take care of, and Auston in High School (homeschooled), so I decided to resign.  Today is the first day of school for Grego at this school, and I'll be dropping him off instead of staying.  It's a surreal feeling, and as the school year begins I find myself a little sad.  I'll miss being there with Grego, and having him come by my room at various times during the day.  I'll miss my students and seeing how big they've gotten over the summer.  I'll miss the Turkey Parade.  I'll miss the teacher meetings when we all pray for each other and the students.  I'll miss working there for sure.  I was exhausted every Tuesday, and it is a difficult job to be up all day for those kids, but it is a very rewarding job.  Perhaps when my young ones get older I'll do it again.

But today, as I'm nursing 2 (maybe 3) sick children, I'm glad I'm not going to work tomorrow.  I'm thankful that my husband had the wisdom to tell me I needed to take it off my plate, even though I truly love it.  I'm thankful that I have the relationship with my husband, that I respect him and knew that I could count on him to know what was best.  I'm thankful for sick children.  I'm thankful that I can see clearly that even though I grieve the fact that I'm not teaching PreK this year, it truly was the best decision for my family at this time.

This post is linked to Heavenly Homemaker's GratiTuesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments! Thank you so much for taking the time to drop me a note :)