Thursday, September 23, 2010

Thoughtful Thursday- Healing Prayer










Last week I touched on my gratitude for prayer and the power of prayer.  I mentioned briefly about how I was healed through prayer. Today I'm especially thankful for the healing power of prayer. We're about to go on a vacation, and I think back to all that has happened over the past several years since I was healed.

Before I was healed I had a hard time walking long distances,  or holding things in my hands.  I was told by my doctor that I would probably be in a wheelchair within a year because my feet were getting so bad.  I could not close my hands all the way anymore and hadn't been able to for several months.  I had to have a padded cover over my steering wheel so I could hold on to it, because I couldn't close my hands enough without it to get a good grip  on it.  I had no idea I would be healed, and I don't take this lightly at all.  I can't go through any part of my day without knowing the power of God.

Sometimes I have a hard time talking about it to people, especially if they are in need of healing themselves, because I don't want them to feel like I'm bragging, or that I think I am better than they are.  I also don't want them to wonder why I was healed and they have not been.  I don't know the answer.  I definitely was NOT healed because I'm a better person!  I am so not a better person!  And I don't know why God heals some of us, and not others, or heals us at different times.  I wish I did.

But what I do believe is that there is a reason that I was healed.

I believe that I have a responsibility to tell people about it, so that they can know that it really does still happen.  I believe that I was healed so that I can minister to others, either through prayer, or through service.  It is a part of why I'm letting my head get shaved on SaturdayWhich, by the way is in in only 2 days, and I'm having a serious issue with my own vanity... 

It's a big part of the reason we're in the foster care system.  Honestly, if I still had limited use of my hands and feet I would NOT be able to take care of babies.  And, back when I was healed I had NO idea we would be where we are on that!

It's a big part of the reason I homeschool my kids.  I felt I was called to homeschool them long before I did.  I finally gave in and agreed to do it, telling God the whole time about how I was not qualified.  As we approached that first year, and Fall was rapidly approaching I was scared to death, and very unsure of how I was going to do it.  One of the worst things that Rheumatoid Arthritis did to me was it overwhelmed me with exhaustion.  I could literally fall asleep standing up.  It was awful, and often made me feel very worthless.  I remember asking God how I was going to homeschool them from the couch.  No worries!  He had it covered ;)

I don't believe that healings are restricted to physical either.  Healing takes place every day in many forms.  Sometimes people choose to attribute their healing to God, sometimes to other things.  I believe that if more of us gave the credit to God we would have more peace in our souls.  But, it's hard not to sound crazy to those who don't believe.  Honestly, I have people who think I'm crazy, or over-exaggerating, or whatever.  Even people who saw me at my worst can't accept what has happened.  It is what it is.  It can be for many reasons, maybe they're unbelievers.  Maybe they're in too much pain themselves.  Maybe they're angry.  Maybe they're jealous.  God knows we all get jealous!

I just want to encourage you today, that if you are in need of healing in any area of your life right now, to ask for it.  God has a plan and a time and a method.  You may not get the healing you ask for, you may get something else.  You may be told to wait.  Or you may be like me and be caught completely by surprise by the depth of the healing.

I'm in a Bible Study, and the commentary said something recently that I found to be very profound, and appropriate: 

"If we are trusting Jesus Christ and have even a glimpse of God's great power, we can experience tranquility even when our world may be falling apart."

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments! Thank you so much for taking the time to drop me a note :)