Sunday, August 15, 2010

Supper Sunday- Home Made Applesauce



A couple of weeks ago I was able to purchase 20 pounds of apples from a local food co-op for just $23.  I had no idea how I was going to use them all, but honestly I went through them very fast!  I bough Gala Apples, so when making this recipe be sure to understand that Gala's are pretty sweet, and you may need to adjust your sweetness according to your tastes.  Oh, and I am happy to report that my friends who tried it said it "tasted like the baked apples at Cracker Barrel".  Well, can't be too bad, then, huh?

Semalee's Home Made Applesauce

Ingredients: 
12 apples, peeled lightly  (I like some skin left on, but not the whole skin), cored and sliced.
1/3 cup dehydrated cane juice
1 Tablespoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg

Place apples in a large dutch oven size pot.  Sprinkle cane juice, cinnamon, and nutmeg over the apples. (Do not stir)  Cover an cook over medium high heat for about 8-10 minutes.  Open up and mash up the apples and stir together.  (I used my Mix and Chop from Pampered Chef).  Cover and cook about 5 minutes longer until the desired consistency is achieved.  Allow to cool just enough so as not to scorch your mouth and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments! Thank you so much for taking the time to drop me a note :)