Tuesday, October 19, 2010

GratiTuesday- Bible Study


Are you in a bible study? I mean a good one? 4 years ago I started attending a Community Bible Study, making this my fifth year in the study. Over the course of these years we've studied Acts, Matthew, Romans, and 1 and 2 Kings with some Minor Prophets. This year we're studying Daniel, Collosians, and 1 and 2 Peter. We're about 8 weeks into the 30 week bible study, and now getting into the second half of Daniel.

Here's the funny thing: Last week my core leader called to check in (they regularly do that) and asked me what I thought of the lesson. I told her that I was kind of disappointed because the study of Daniel so far had been so easy. One thing I really like about CBS Bible Study is it really stretches you. We study very in-depth. And I actually crave that. She agreed, and encouraged me by telling me that when we start Peter it will be much more difficult. I told her I was glad to hear that, and regardless I was still enjoying studying a book I hadn't before.......................................... Then I opened up this weeks lesson................................................... Oh. My.

Who knew that in Chapter 7 of Daniel it goes from a prophetic story here and there to visions that rival Revelation?????? (Which by the way rumor has it we're studying next year)....

You know, God is so funny.. He created us, and He knows us inside and out. I often wonder if when I say things like, "This book is just too easy," if He isn't just up in heaven chuckling to himself thinking, "Just wait until next week- you'll be floored!".......

Which reminds me of a simple truth. We go through life often quite full of ourselves, really.  I mean even the "humblest" among us has moments of pride.  It is the truth.  And, I'm the first to say I don't know anywhere near enough about the Bible...  in fact the more I study the more I realize I don't know.....  but I'll admit, I was feeling a little prideful...  I was thinking to myself, "I've been through several years of this type of bible study now, and I'm really starting to get the hang of it...  It only took me 5 years...  Yay me!"  LOL...

Only to be reminded this week that I STILL DON'T KNOW JACK  :)

So I'm very grateful for being stretched.  Sometimes it's a pleasant surprise, sometimes it's painful, but always it's for God's purpose in our lives.  And always it's for the best.  Sometimes we know why, sometimes we don't.

This post is linked to Heavenly Homemaker's GratiTuesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments! Thank you so much for taking the time to drop me a note :)