Thursday, September 22, 2011

Thoughtful Thursday-Financial Peace University

Have you noticed I haven’t posted since Monday?  Yeah…  I’ve got a little case of writer’s block….  I just keep staring at the blank screen…  I don’t know why….

It’s not that I don’t have anything on my mind…..  I’ve got lots… 

My husband and I recently started Financial Peace University at our church and it’s really beginning to open up the lines of communication between us.  This is a great thing for us.  It’s not that we *don’t* talk, it’s just that the way we handle the bills in my house is my husband works and I handle the money.  He trusts me (maybe even more than I trust myself) to do what is best, and I just do what I think is best.  Us communicating more about it is a good thing because I’ve never felt real good about having the responsibility of all of the decisions.  I mean, after all, HE is the one who works 3 jobs to support us, I think he should know what the money is being spent on!  He just hasn’t wanted to deal with it because, no matter how much money you make there just isn’t enough……  And, to him it bothers him that I can’t just go buy what I want when I want it.  It doesn’t bother me at all.  I wouldn’t trade the ability to be home with my kids for the ability to buy what I want when I want it….  And, while we don’t have play money, we have a nice house, and food on the table, and gas in the cars, and the bills are paid (most of the time LOL)…  Winking smile Not everyone is as lucky as I am to have a husband willing to work as hard as mine does so that they can stay home with the kids.  I am truly, truly blessed to have a husband who believes in the importance of that as much as I am.  He’s never guilted me about not working.  Never. 

FPU is much more than what I expected.  I think sometimes it doesn’t get the reputation it deserves.  People thing FPU is for people who aren’t able to pay their bills, or are in debt to their eyeballs.  It is helpful for that, but there is SO much more to the program.  So much about budgeting and saving and how that all works.  I’m really enjoying learning more about those things so I can do better with our financial future (not present)….  And, having two heads on the matter instead of one actually kind of makes me giddy inside Winking smile  Am I weird?  I just know this is going to make a real difference in our family’s future.

So, I guess my message for today would be if you have the opportunity at all to attend FPU, whether you are doing “fine” financially or not, I think you should go.  Heck- we can always learn more and do better, right?????

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments! Thank you so much for taking the time to drop me a note :)