Friday, July 15, 2011

Family Time Friday- Marriage

Today is a very special day in my house.  It’s my anniversary with my husband.  We’ve been married for 15 years today! 

When I got married I, like every other woman thought I was going to live happily ever after.  Nobody tells you how much work marriage is!  My husband and I have been through some tough times.  Times we didn’t know we’d make it through.  Times we didn’t know if we wanted to make it through.  I’m sure just about any couple out there who’s been married for any period of time would say the same.  I’m a firm believer that we don’t talk enough about the tough stuff we make it through.  I mean the general rule in our society is, “If it isn’t working out, get a divorce”.  The promise of marriage isn’t for the good times in your marriage.  It’s for the tough times.  The storms. 

Some storms last a while.  Some are short.  Some linger in the background for years.  You know when it rains real hard, and the next day everything is SO GREEN?  That’s how it is in marriage too…  You make it through the storms and everything is SO GREEN afterwards.  You have to do the work to reap the benefits.

My husband is my best friend.  He is the ONE person who knows EVERYTHING about me and loves me anyway.  He’s seen me at my worst.  He’s believed in me when I didn’t believe in myself.  When I see myself through his eyes I feel so loved.  When he’s at work I miss him.  When our lives are busy and we don’t see a lot of each other I feel like I’m missing part of myself.  It was not like this when we got married.  It has gotten this way through navigating the storms together.  We are reaping the rewards of our hard work right now. 

When I promised forever I didn’t know what it looked like.  I would have never planned our lives out how they have turned out.  I don’t know what I would have planned.  But I do know that 4 kids and 15 years later it’s better than I ever imagined. 

Thank you honey, for being my best friend, my husband, my safe place, and for giving me someone wonderful to raise our children with.  I can’t wait until they’re all raised and it’s just you and me Winking smile

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments! Thank you so much for taking the time to drop me a note :)