Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Weight Loss Wednesday-I’ve never thought of myself as a runner, but I’m beginning to…..

Wow, it’s been a while since I posted a WLW post.  Sorry!  This one has been in my brain for a while, but I’ve been so busy I just haven’t had the time to post.  I do have to say, though that it was a neat treat this morning to have a minute to get this post written, and read my last post on this subject.  I haven’t posted, but I haven’t stopped either!  I’ve made some major progress Winking smile 

Since that post, I finished the 3 Weeks to a 30 Minute Running Habit, and have started on the “Run/Walk 5K Training Program”.  I’m on week 4, and I have to say I’m actually starting to believe I might be able to run the 5K I’m scheduled for in May!  It’s been a looooooong journey to get here.  I’d like to say I’ve lost a ton of weight, but I haven’t.  I’ve lost some, I’m finally knocking on the door to 30 pounds again (after my out of control holiday season), which is great, but it’s still slow coming off.  I think that’s just the way it is with me, and hopefully this will stick with me later when I think I can just do whatever and take it back off…..  It’s just not that easy.

It was really nice to read my last post on this subject, because it reminded me of just how far I’ve come, and it really hasn’t been that long.  If you are a person who reads my blog, and thinks, that’s great that she’s a runner, I want you to go back and read that post.  Let me be clear.  I have never before considered myself a runner, so I want to journal how I got to where I am and where I hope to be going. 

First, I started the first training program because I needed more activity points in less time.  It’s really about being lazy LOL.  I just don’t have the time to devote to an hour and a half long walk anymore.  I started looking a the points, and for my body size I was earning about 5 points for the 90 minute walk.  So, I wanted to try to earn those points faster, to get rid of the excuse of not enough time.  Well, I am earning about 7 points for a 30 minute run.  This equation works for me LOL.  That was my initial motivation.

Then I got started.  The first day of the program is a run/walk combination of 1 minute run, 1 minute walk 10 times.  Sound easy enough, right?  RIGHT….  I thought I was going to DIE.  Did I mention I’m not a runner?  I was in the Army, and really enjoyed it, but NEVER did I like the running part.  In fact, I really wanted to go to jump school, and could have, but didn’t.  You know why?  Because they run the entire school to strengthen up their legs and I didn’t want to run.  I wasn’t afraid of jumping out of airplanes, I was afraid of the running in the school.  How crazy is that????  I tell you this to get you to understand where I was with running.  As I completed those first couple of days of this training program I was reminded of why I had never enjoyed running before.  I was hot, sweaty, and starting to develop shin splints.  I started wondering if this was all one very bad idea.

But, I had committed to myself to finish the program.  When I started it, I told myself, no matter what, I will complete this 3 week program.  And, if, after I was done I still didn’t want to run, then I would move on to the next great idea Winking smile  Well, the shin splints continued, and I got sick etc.  I ended up taking more like 5 weeks to complete the program, but I DID complete it.  I also have a walking/running buddy who is doing the Couch to 5K program, and watching her progress through her program has motivated me A LOT.  I have tried the C25K before, but it’s increments of increase were too much for me, and ended up making me feel like a failure in the end.  I knew I had to do something, but not that.  I walked/and ran a little bit of a 5K with this friend, and thought to myself, I just don’t think I will ever be able to run the whole thing….. 

I mentioned that at the beginning of the year I set a goal to participate in at least 3 organized events this year.  I have since adjusted that goal.  I want to strive for one a month.  I know there will be months that I don’t meet this goal, but I’m going to strive for it anyway.  I decided this when I walked/ran with my friend in the Heart for Katy 5K in February.  So far, we’re doing good.  I walked/ran (did what was on my training program for the day) in March at the Run for the Children.  This past weekend I walked the 5K Blue Bell Fun Run (it was a rest day on my training program).

I am scheduling myself for a 5K the weekend of May 19th, which will be when I finish the “Run/Walk 5K Training Program”. I did this on purpose to try to keep myself on task with the program and not have it take longer than 8 weeks.  I almost slipped when my whole family got food poisoning, but since it only calls for 3 days of training a week, I have been able to catch up.  I plan to RUN the entire 5K in May.  I say run, but it’s really more like a slow jog.  Whatever.  I’m not walking Winking smile

I guess I have more than one post in my brain, so I’ll save some of what I have to say for next week.  Next week I’ll talk about tips for beginning runners, and how to stay motivated when you feel like you’ll never get there.  Winking smile

Have a great week, and set a goal for yourself, commit to it, and never give up.

We want results, not reasons!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments! Thank you so much for taking the time to drop me a note :)