Saturday, December 29, 2012

New Years Resolutions- Looking to 2013

Well, it’s that time again.  I’ve reflected on the past year, and now it’s time to take a good look at 2013.  I’ve pretty much always written New Year’s Resolutions, and some years I’ve been more dedicated than others.  Still, though, it’s important to take a look at your life regularly and think about where you’re going and where you actually want to go…..

As my life has gotten extremely busy in recent years I think it’s more important than ever to set some goals.  It’s like a plumb line…  If you get off just a bit here, in a year you don’t even know where you are.  Resolutions are an opportunity to reset the plumb line.

As I look over my resolutions from 2012 I see some things that I didn’t really get to, and others that I did quite well.  For example, in the area of finance I did menu plan all year, and we paid off some debt, but not as much as I would have liked….  For Children, Auston is still learning to drive, and William’s belly button is still not fixed.  Neither of these things are my fault, (I’m driving with Auston, he’s just not ready yet, and William got a ring worm that delayed the surgery), but they’ll roll over to 2013 nonetheless.  Marriage:  Up until the last couple of weeks I’ve done a good job with making sure Michael has socks Winking smile….  And I think our marriage is striving quite well right now Winking smile  Friend and family: I’ve finally started doing pretty good with birthday and occasion cards in the last quarter of the year, so that will stay on the list for improvement.  There is some improvement with my mother, we’ve exchanged some nice text messages.  I’m happy with any progress at all in that area.  I didn’t do nearly as many acts of kindness this year as I would have liked, busyness took over my life.  Home Management:  The boys got their room, and the siding and fascia were replaced.  There’s still work to be done around here!  Spiritual- I’m maintaining Bible Study, but just barely as of late…  There will be some things on the list for that one, and the other personal goals of clearing out my schedule and creating time for myself…..  well…..  with the exception of my running, I’ve pretty much failed all around on that…. 

So, you see, some things get better, some things still need improvement…  Here we are at another year, so it’s time to reset the plumbline Smile

So, here are my goals for 2013:

Finances:

  • Create and maintain sinking funds for various projects around the house and car
  • Create and maintain Christmas Fund
  • Move to a monthly menu planning/shopping schedule to reduce spending
  • Pay down remaining debt
  • Reestablish emergency fund (got depleted this year on emergencies)
  • Try to begin moving to a pay this months bills with last month’s paycheck system

Children:

  • Get William’s belly button fixed and circumcision done
  • Continue teaching Auston to drive, and when he’s ready get him his license
  • Help Gregory find more ways to be social
  • Find the joy in my children, and see less of the work and burden
  • Keep up with the kids schoolwork …  Don’t get behind
  • Maintain Shea’s therapy schedule and continue to monitor William for needs
  • Teach the kids to cook by having them help me in the kitchen

Marriage:

  • Continue regular date nights, but add some variety, spice
  • Carve a weekend away (In addition to MUD conventions)
  • Get dressed up for him more
  • Give him more of myself

Friends and Family:

  • Consistently send out Birthday and Occasion cards
  • Pray for my friends and family more specifically
  • More GNOs, maybe a Girls weekend?
  • Do at least 12 RAK’s (Random Acts of Kindness) this year

Health and Fitness:

  • PR my 5K time, (I’d like to get closer to 30 mins)
  • Run Every Day in January
  • Participate in at least one race that is longer than a 5K
  • Watch my eating, cut way back on the junk food
  • Drink more water!
  • Encourage at least one person to start running
  • Start some strength training
  • Maintain my reduction of soda pops to 1-2 per month or less

Home Management:

  • Redo William’s room
  • Replace furniture (from thrift store)
  • Redo Deck (maybe a covered patio?)
  • Plant flowers
  • Get a cleaning schedule/rotation going again

Spirituality:

  • Tithe Consistently
  • Get better about doing my bible study homework daily
  • Read at least 2 books on spiritual growth
  • Restart our home group (going to be more important than ever with our pastor retiring)
  • Be more consistent with Prayer list for DOK
  • Start a prayer journal

Other Personal Goals:

  • Make sure I have the time and money for regular massages and pedicures
  • Steal away some time for myself
  • Read at least 4 books this year
  • Craft more
  • Keep my car clean
  • Take some items off my schedule to get out of the excessive busyness cycle
  • Continue with my list of 6 daily to stay on task
  • Paint my nails
  • Wear Perfume

I have some work to do in 2013, but I think these are attainable goals.  Now that I’ve done this I’m ready to get started!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments! Thank you so much for taking the time to drop me a note :)