Saturday, February 16, 2013

Race Recap- Run 4 the Children

The first race I ran last year (intervals) was the Run 4 the Children.  It is a race I see myself participating in every year because the cause is so close to my heart.  This race is all about adoption.  The proceeds benefit families trying to adopt.  One of the things I find very cool about this race is that they actually give out 2 different colored shirts- one color is for people who are part of an adoptive family and the other color for people who are not.  It’s neat to see different people out on the course in their shirts and a great conversation starter later, because people who have participated know what color means what.  I just think that’s cool. 

Because of the cause this race supports my whole family went out for this event today….

As you can see it was a little chilly at race start, but it warmed up nicely as the morning went on and actually was pretty close to perfect weather in my book Winking smile  I actually wasn’t going to wear my tutu, but I ended up putting it on because I’m very insecure about the size of my butt Sad smile LOL  In the end, I was the only girl with a tutu on at the race (there was one guy….  not sure what that means…..  and it turned out to be a great conversation starter on the course, so I was glad I wore it Winking smile

My other BRF Trishia ran this one with me, and she will run it every year too.  We at least know in the busyness of our schedules this will likely come up on both of our calendars Winking smile

See the different colored shirts?  Most races you don’t wear the race shirt at the race, but this one is different like that Winking smile

My sweet husband walked the course with the babies in the stroller and Gregory (my 13 year old) hung back with him.  I am incredibly impressed with my husband pushing the stroller the whole way!  Seriously, those babies make up almost 80 pounds of weight and that is no small task.  FYI- the race is 4 miles, and there is a short cut that makes it like 2.6 or something like that.  Pretty much all of the other walkers with strollers took the short cut and Michael did not.  He’s pretty freaking awesome Smile  And, Gregory told me after the race that he just really enjoyed walking with his dad, they had some nice bonding time together.

Auston (my superfast 16 year old) came in 4th in his age group and finished at like 34:18 for the 4 miles.  He was pretty much sick when he saw that the 3rd place winner was 34:16….  He was rethinking stopping to put his water cup down LOL  Poor guy….  Next year maybe he’ll win Smile

He is so in his element when he’s running Smile <3 <3

For my time, I killed my time from last year (when I only ran probably a total of 2- 2.5 miles of it. ) My finishing time this year was 49:41 and I am SUPER happy with that, because I was hoping to keep in under 50 minutes LOL  Winking smile  Last year’s time was 1:01, so I was much improved from last year Smile

I also ran this consistently.  My first time to go 4 miles without stopping.  It was pretty cool to accomplish that goal.  I’m not sure I want to go much longer without stopping, but now I can say I did it Smile

Another cool thing about this race- I knew SO many people!  The race organizer is also the head honcho for my Katy Fit group, so there were a TON of people from that out there, and then I saw 3 people from my Bible Study and Susan from my church who ran with me last year too Smile  Oh, and a guy that works with my husband was there with his wife too Smile  It was like a family reunion with no drama LOL

So, my take on this race is it is a great cause, it is very well organized, the after party was great, lots of vendors, and Whole Foods was nice enough to send me home with a CASE of bananas!  LOL  The guy was saying, “banana pudding, banana bread, banana smoothies…”  My husband pointed to my youngest and said, “banana eater…”  LOL

Just an all around great day Smile

1 comment:

  1. I agree, great race! I had zero expectations this year, unlike last year when I really trained for it. Last year I finished 5 minutes faster than the year before, and this year I was not expecting to beat that. I never thought I could run four miles without any walking. I guess training for a half marathon...even at a slower pace...really helps! Absolutely PERFECT weather :)

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! Thank you so much for taking the time to drop me a note :)